The Society have a huge selection of photographs of the area, the people who lived there and the events that took place. Many are available to view in the Society’s Museum. A few are shown below.
St Mary’s Church (Church of England)– the Parish Church since the 12th Century.
Turf Tavern May 1996. The first reference to a beerhouse on this site was in 1833. It was originally attached to the old village smithy which was demolished in the 1920s to make way for Laverack Street.
Handsworth County Council School July 1987. The Handsworth Infants Board school opened on 10th February 1902. At that time there were 58 pupils. The school finally closed in 1995 and has since been demolished.
Fisher’s House as row of shops June 1966. Oakfield House, previously the home of the Fisher family. The front of the house faced towards Richmond. The shop fronts are at what was the rear of the house